Home » RDBMS Server » Server Utilities » Analyze Help required!!!
Analyze Help required!!! [message #71193] Mon, 23 September 2002 00:39 Go to next message
Suhail Ahmed
Hi,
In my Oracle/D2K application a batch process was running on the client side with all the default parameter settings
i.e the cost base optimiser mode.
And the upload (that is one process in our Application to upload the data) of 20 lakh records was taking 1 or 1.30hrs only.

But user ran the Analyze command (with Compute Statistics option) one day and
the upload process become very slow it has taken app. 20hrs
in the upload of same file.
Now to reduce the time what user has done is changed the parameter(optimizer mode) from Cost Based to Rule based
and after that the same upload is happening in app 3hrs.
But when user has to run another process , say Process B(one of the Application Main Process) again
he has to change the Optimizer mode from Rule based to Cost based.

First I would like to know what counld be the reason that after Running the Analyze command
why the process become so slow and
what is the remedy now so the user need not to change the Optimizer mode again and agaian.

Analyze command was run for all the tables and indexes in the schema.

Thanks & Regards,
Suhail
Re: Analyze Help required!!! [message #71196 is a reply to message #71193] Mon, 23 September 2002 12:36 Go to previous message
Grant
The first this is both are Cost Based Optimizer (CBT). The diffrence between the two is COST has all the objects analyzed and RULE does not. You do not need to change the mode each time. Set OPTIMIZER_MODE=CHOOSE.

To change to CHOOSE:
SQL> dbms_utility.analyze_schema('SCHEMA','COMPUTE');

To Change to RULE:
SQL> dbms_utility.analyze_schema('SCHEMA','DELETE');

SCHEMA would be the schema you want to change. You can also use hints to switch between them or force the use of an index.
Previous Topic: unable to load CLOB data into a table using sql loader
Next Topic: Problem importing with table having LOB
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed May 15 07:30:07 CDT 2024