Home » RDBMS Server » Server Utilities » Export Import affecting sequence triggers.
Export Import affecting sequence triggers. [message #71299] Thu, 10 October 2002 09:24 Go to next message
Smoke Williamss
Hi. I need to change several columns from VARCHAR2(2000) to CLOBS and not lose any data that is already in the DB. I know I can use the EXP utility from unix, drop and recreate the tables and then use IMP to put the data back in. I am wondering what will happen to the sequence triggers. Can I leave those alone and just recreate the tables? If not my data will be totally screwed up? I haven't done any of this yet, but I need to know what to do. Thanks.
Re: Export Import affecting sequence triggers. [message #71399 is a reply to message #71299] Sun, 27 October 2002 22:26 Go to previous message
Trifon Anguelov
Sequences are not linked to the tables in a way that dropping the tables will affect the sequences. Modify your tables, import the data and adjust the sequences if your PK have larger values than the current PK sequence.

Also if you are getting your PK from sequences (which you should do !!) disable the ON-INSERT triggers on those tables so the sequences are not rolled forward during the import. After all the import is INSERT INTO .... statements.

Hope that helps,

clio_usa
OCP - DBA

Visit our Web site

Previous Topic: Reading an .dmp file
Next Topic: Move data
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed May 15 05:21:56 CDT 2024