Home » Server Options » Replication » Replication
Replication [message #75502] Thu, 03 June 2004 07:30 Go to next message
jcac
I'm reading so much about replication but i don't know wich replication.

I have a transactional database (full time disponibility) and I have to extract some of data to a data warehouse.

I create some triggers for identify all registers that change from the last extraction process.

Now I must have a image of all registers when i start the extraction process (10 or 20 tables).

I prefer master site replication (Asynchronous) because the powerfull of the transactional database will not be affected . I supose that materialized views reduce the powerfull of the transactional database.

I want to know if the Asynchronous replication reads the log files for replicate to databases. It's certain?

I will planify a replication every 4 hours, for example but may be, i have to do a replication by a request. When i do this request replication i don't want that next planified replication wil be executed. If I read that if i stop the group replication, user can't execute DML to the database (transactional) and i need this database full time disponibility.

For example:

a.- I planify every 4 hours a replication group.

b.- At 12 the replication will be executed.

c.- At 3, i want to extract all changes from transactional database and i do a request replication.

I need 5 hours for extract all data from transactional database.

At 4 then replication will be executed but y don't want y need that the replication process will be executed went i finish the extraction.

How can i do?

I think about snapshots and i know how can i do (snapshot group replication will ensure the referencial integrity? ) but master site replication

Thank's a lot and i'm sorry for my English.

jcac

Re: Replication [message #75507 is a reply to message #75502] Sun, 20 June 2004 08:18 Go to previous message
Justin Cave
It sounds like you only want to replicate data one way, from the transactional system to the data warehouse. Assuming that is correct, I think the problem is a bit simpler than you may be thinking.

You will generally want to create a materialized view on the data warehouse and create a materialized view log on the transactional database. The materialized view log will track changes to the transactional tables-- you don't need to write your own trigger to do this. Then, you can set the materialized views on the data warehouse to be fast refreshable, so only changes will be replicated, which should allow replication to happen pretty quickly. Assuming that you put all the materialized views in a single refresh group, the replicated tables will all be transactionally consistent snapshots.
Previous Topic: Updateable Snapshots Creation
Next Topic: updating primary key in replication environment
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 05:06:54 CDT 2024