Home » Fusion Middleware & Colab Suite » WebCenter Suite & Portal » How do I link from form to form
How do I link from form to form [message #77303] Thu, 08 November 2001 06:25 Go to next message
Rick Beall
How do I link from form to form passing a variable which controls the record the 2nd form displays?

It is easy to do move from form to report, but the writers did not seem to think you need to move from form to form.

Is there a workaround? Do people write their entire application as a series of reports, and then link to update forms from the reports?

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Re: How do I link from form to form [message #77314 is a reply to message #77303] Sat, 01 December 2001 06:51 Go to previous message
Madhav Kasojjala
Hi Rick,
In my last application I developed using Portal,
we made this work around and it works fine.
The options are
i) Like you said, Creating hyperlinked reports for the data and when clicked the link drive the user to the Form to query/update the data.

ii) Create a generic Search Engine, after identifying all the possible search items the user can make, and then give a Search Page where user enters the string and search the database and give hyperlinked report output from which we follow (i) above.

iii) is pain for maintaining, needs more time for coding and it is developing custom stored procedures as Forms and maintaining the links by pumping in/out the data from/to plsql tables/javascript.
I won't suggest this unless the Forms you develop are extremely complex and you have no other choice.
As of Oracle is concerned, the way they developed entire Portal framework, the only way they can lead us to get into form to form communication is through multiple Portlets on same page and sending Parameters using Parameters Package in PDK.

There is a (iv) th choice too.
iv) You can develop two java frames on one web page and call each of the Forms from each frame and give communication between the Forms using Parameters.
This I successfully developed and it works fine for me.(But it is between Stored procedure and Report).
THE PAIN : taking care of non-supporting javascript browsers( if any), and maintaining little bit of code in calling Stored procedures from Javascript page. ( I didn't see much of it anyway).
Write to me, if you need any example code ...

Hope this helps
Regards
Madhav

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Previous Topic: Can't login to server
Next Topic: Re: EXCELLENT CAREER OPPURTUNITIES
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 05:14:14 CDT 2024