Home » Developer & Programmer » Reports & Discoverer » How to allow user to leave non-LOV parameter empty?
How to allow user to leave non-LOV parameter empty? [message #89033] Tue, 05 August 2003 11:14 Go to next message
Adrienne
I have a report that needs to allow the user to filter by customer. I do not want to create a list-of-values parameter because it would be over 4000 items long, so the user will have to just type in the customer names they want to filter over. Most of the time, though, they will need to run the report for ALL customers.

How can the user run the report without specifying any customer? If they leave the Customer parameter blank, the "Finish" button does not become active, so they can't run the report. If they enter NULL they get no records (because there are no NULL customers). Entering " " (space) and "%" doesn't work either.

Any ideas?
Re: How to allow user to leave non-LOV parameter empty? [message #89043 is a reply to message #89033] Sun, 10 August 2003 09:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Muzzammil
Hi,

Put this where condition in your query.

WHERE CUSTOMER LIKE decode(:CNAME,'ALL','%',:CNAME)

In CNAME parameter value put initial value as ALL if you are putting ALL in the where condition. Other wise remove this all put ' '.

---CNAME=CUSTOMER NAME
I hope it solve your problem.

Syed Muzzammil
Re: How to allow user to leave non-LOV parameter empty? [message #89051 is a reply to message #89043] Mon, 11 August 2003 11:55 Go to previous message
Adrienne
Thank you for the response. I wonder if I am misunderstanding, though.

I am in the Administrator edition, and I added the above code to my SQL query, which is in a Custom Folder inside the relevant business object. But when I click the "Validate SQL" button, I get a popup that says "The custom SQL entered is not a valid SQL statement". If I save it anyway, I can't create a worksheet based on the items in that query.

The SQL statement is valid if I remove that line. What am I missing?
Previous Topic: Deploying forms/report6i on the web
Next Topic: How can I increase column width in report builder 6i
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 11:32:34 CDT 2024