Home » Developer & Programmer » Reports & Discoverer » making use of a parameter value
making use of a parameter value [message #89603] Wed, 02 June 2004 08:42 Go to next message
Jon
Hello!

I need help with some basic reports stuff.  I am running 6i and I would like to know how I make use of the queries I build in the data model.  The layout of my report is that a user enters in a parameter (datatype number) and I want the fields in my report to fill in based on this value. 

I am having a difficult time making the fields i build in reports to do anything but generate referencing and frequency errors, so how do I link the parameter value entered by the user to the query to retrieve values in the tables and then display them in the corresponding fields in the report at runtime?  Any help is appreciated!  Thanks!

jon
Re: making use of a parameter value [message #89606 is a reply to message #89603] Wed, 02 June 2004 23:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Riaz
Just base your table on a query and define a bind parameter in the query like..

select * from emp
where deptno=:depart;

layout your report as u need.....
Hope this works....
Riaz
Re: making use of a parameter value [message #89609 is a reply to message #89606] Thu, 03 June 2004 04:26 Go to previous message
Jon
riaz -

Thank you for the reply. I understand the bind variable concept, I just didn't know how to implement it since I am a newbie PL/SQL developer. However, its what I learn from day to day from these boards and from playing around with the software that gets me to where I need to be, so thanks! Keep up the good work, and I'll keep learning as long as you guys will have me here =)

jon
Previous Topic: How to follow last page of a report
Next Topic: Horizontal Page Break?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri May 03 12:26:28 CDT 2024