Home » Infrastructure » Windows » Oracle in Orahome92 ODBC Driver (Registry Permissions For Non Admin Users)
Oracle in Orahome92 ODBC Driver (Registry Permissions For Non Admin Users) [message #100639] Tue, 25 March 2003 20:22 Go to next message
Lee Forkenbrock
Hello Everyone,

This is the situation I have. I installed Oracle Client on Windows XP PCs, setup the service names, etc... Added a system dsn for application connectivity to our oracle server. The application works fine logged in as administrator, but with any other user that is non-administrator I get the error "oracle odbc driver could not be loaded due to System Error 5" which I found is a registry permissions problem. I have gone through the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE odbc, oracle, and dsn sections trying to give full privleges to all users for testing purposes but had no luck getting it to work. I don't want to give users administrator privleges just to use the applications driven by the oracle server. I would think that there would have to be a workaround. If anyone has any suggestions or has run into this problem before please either email me or post a reply. Thanks in advance.
Re: Oracle in Orahome92 ODBC Driver (Registry Permissions For Non Admin Users) [message #100640 is a reply to message #100639] Tue, 25 March 2003 21:11 Go to previous message
Lee Forkenbrock
Ok All,

Just found the problem. After installing the oracle client software, it did not add user rights to the actual oracle folder (in my case C:oracleora92). This made the users unable to even access the required dlls for the oracle drivers.

So, what I had to do was add the Users group to the list of allowed users/group under the security tab.

Thanks to anyone who was trying to figure out this problem for me. Maybe this post can help others dealing with the client software.
Previous Topic: How to build and call complex queries through ADO
Next Topic: ASP problem for Oracle9i on windows2000
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 18:45:49 CDT 2024