Home » RDBMS Server » Networking and Gateways » TNS file on network
TNS file on network [message #119458] Thu, 12 May 2005 11:51 Go to next message
danny_t
I'm trying to install an app which accesses an oracle db on our own server which is plumbed into a large corporate network (not our network).

The corporation's tech dept have run a script which has created a minimal install of oracle client for some logons which are to be used to run our application. However we are still getting the following error: -

ORA-12154: TNS: could not resolve service name

As far as i can guess (and i have limited access as you may be able to tell) the tnsnames.ora file is not stored locally and the oracle client install points to a networked drive folder with tnsnames.ora somewhere.

Is there any way i can find out where the client setup is trying to access which tnsnames.ora file so i can make sure our server and databse gets added to it correctly?

Sorry for the vagueness!
Re: TNS file on network [message #119461 is a reply to message #119458] Thu, 12 May 2005 12:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Daljit Singh

You can use TNS_ADMIN environment variable to find out where the oracle is searching the tnsnames.ora.

On unix you can use:

$ echo $TNS_ADMIN

On Windows you can check the TNS_ADMIN registry key.

Moreover just open the "Net Manager" on the machine and you can find the path of tnsnames.ora on the title bar of Net Manager.

Daljit Singh
Re: TNS file on network [message #119534 is a reply to message #119458] Fri, 13 May 2005 04:08 Go to previous message
danny_t
Sorry can you explain more about the TNS_ADMIN? I'm not sure where to look, i can't find anything in the registry?
Previous Topic: ora-12541 error
Next Topic: pls help- How to get various network information from server side
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun May 12 15:37:08 CDT 2024