Home » RDBMS Server » Networking and Gateways » Connecting to a remote computer w Oracle via internet, error Timeout
Connecting to a remote computer w Oracle via internet, error Timeout [message #120023] Tue, 17 May 2005 06:27 Go to next message
perherman
I am trying to connect to another computer with Oracle 10G, via internet.

I have defined a local service name, 'SRM', with the remote IP adress (which is a router/firewall), and port 1521.

When i issue the commande TNSPING SRM I get a successfull reply: Ok, (100 msek), but when I test the service using Oracle Net manager I get the error: ORA-12535: TNS:operation timed out, and the same if I try to connect to the database using my application (which is what I want).

Any suggesttions?

Thanks
Per-Olof
Re: Connecting to a remote computer w Oracle via internet, error Timeout [message #120043 is a reply to message #120023] Tue, 17 May 2005 08:20 Go to previous message
perherman
On another forum (Expert Exchange) I got the following tip:

Accepted Answer from schwertner
Date: 05/17/2005 12:54PM CEST
Grade: A Accepted Answer

This is the typical 10g trap.

Go to the remote 10g installation.
In ...\network\admin open listener.ora

see

SID_LIST_LISTENER =
(SID_LIST =
(SID_DESC =
(SID_NAME = PLSExtProc)
(ORACLE_HOME = D:\Ora10g)
(PROGRAM = extproc)
)
(SID_DESC =
(SID_NAME = test)
)
)

Add the entry
(SID_DESC =
(SID_NAME = test)
)
with regard to the particular Oracle Home and SID Name.

Restart the listener:
c:>lsnrctl stop
c:>lsnctl start

Thats all.

----

This worked! I had to change the Connection Type to Shared Server (it was previously Dedicated).
Previous Topic: pls help- How to get various network information from server side
Next Topic: Abort SQLPlus on TNS error ? Called from commandline, hanging, scheduled
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun May 12 12:36:41 CDT 2024