Home » RDBMS Server » Networking and Gateways » Need help to solve IP address for Oracle 10g
Need help to solve IP address for Oracle 10g [message #121899] Wed, 01 June 2005 11:55 Go to next message
travellers
I know it sounds stupid to ask this kind of question here. But I have no way out for this problem. So hope gurus here to give me some helps.

I have installed FC3 and Oracle 10g on my home PC successfully. DB is up runing and FC3 has been updated timely. The problem is that I signed up a residential internet service with dynimac IP address. The IP address changed frequently. It has affected me to run isqlplus, listener and ioem. Obviously, I need a static IP address to run my Oracle 10g. The question is: I have no intention to pay for a business internet account for a static IP address. Are there any other alternatives I choose to solve this problem. I have thought about some options. 1. use the machines Hostname instead of IP address to configure DB files right. how to get Hostname on Linux system? Using hostname, get/sethostname functions? 2. Create some scripts to chack and update the IP address information in DB files. But I am not sure the possibility of success to do these steps. Anyone got good ideas, please give me a hand. Thanks in advance

[Updated on: Wed, 01 June 2005 16:34]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Need help to solve IP address for Oracle 10g [message #123998 is a reply to message #121899] Wed, 15 June 2005 16:34 Go to previous message
travellers
I have posted this thread for a while. But no people reply. It seems that not many people know how to fix this problem. I have figured out and fixed problem by myself. I would like to post steps here for others reference.

1. buying a D-Link wireless router. Configure router on WAN and LAN. Router will assign you a static IP address within your local network. No matter how many times will your WAN provider change IP, your LAN IP will not change.

2. Go to modify the files on your Linux or Unix platform.
(1) /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-etn0

(2) /etc/sysconfig/network to use hostname instead of localhost.localdomain

(3)/etc/hosts to map your IP to your hostname.

After this, your OEM Console will interfaced with Hostname of your server, it will never got problem with the IP on WAN changed by your ISP.

3) go to modify your listener.ora and tnsnames.ora files to set up correct hostname in these files.

4)Based on your new network settings, re-create your database. Then startup DB, lsnrctl start, emctl start dbconsole. Using your browser to point to your database with the new URL http://hostname_dbname:5500/em. You will connect and access into your database from OEM Console.

[Updated on: Wed, 15 June 2005 16:34]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic: Oracle error "fetched column value was truncated"
Next Topic: Connecting to a PostgreSQL database ?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri May 10 05:01:23 CDT 2024