Home » RDBMS Server » Networking and Gateways » Failure to start SQL* Plus - "TNS could not resolve service name"
Failure to start SQL* Plus - "TNS could not resolve service name" [message #13281] Tue, 06 July 2004 00:21 Go to next message
Andile Khanyile
I have loaded the Oracle database software on to my PC/Server running on windows XP operating system.  I have a problem with starting SQL* Plus for SQL development.  I get the error message "TNS could not resolve service name" each time I start it.  What could be the problem? Please advise.
Re: Failure to start SQL* Plus - "TNS could not resolve service name" [message #13302 is a reply to message #13281] Tue, 06 July 2004 23:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adrian Billington
You need to check your tnsnames.ora file in ORACLE_HOMEnetworkadmin to ensure you have entered your instance details. As the error message mentions "SERVICE", it would suggest that you have a "SERVICE=something" in the tnsnames.ora but no service defined in the listener.ora. You could try changing SERVICE=something to SID=your_sid instead.

HTH
Adrian
Re: Failure to start SQL* Plus - "TNS could not resolve service name" [message #13334 is a reply to message #13281] Thu, 08 July 2004 00:23 Go to previous message
Soham

hi!
"TNS could not resolve service name" error indiacate tht u r not getting connected to the database.
all the information about which databases and instances and schemas is stored into the tnsnames.ora file in ORACLE_HOMEnetworkadmin.
goto the file and open it into the notepad u can see the databases name like
Example1.world
its address hostid, portid etc
check whether it is right or not.
same thing u can do through sql net easy configuration.
check host id
use same name of database into host string when sql ask for the host string
Previous Topic: ORA-12571 TNS PACKET FAILURE
Next Topic: Remote DB access problems accross the WAN
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 30 16:31:39 CDT 2024