Home » RDBMS Server » Networking and Gateways » how to start sqlplus instantclient
how to start sqlplus instantclient [message #124859] Tue, 21 June 2005 19:03 Go to next message
gia_thornton
Hi,
I have installed instantclient basic and sqlplus packages from http://www.oracle.com/technology/tech/oci/instantclient/instantclient.html
on window 32-bit. sqlplus.exe and other files are under c:/instantclient and I also set PATH and SQLPATH to be this location.
When I click on sqlplus.exe, it asks for login and password. Does anyone know what I should use?

I installed instantclient on one machine, but oracle database server on another machine. Could I use instantclient to connect to DB on another machine?

Gia

Re: how to start sqlplus instantclient [message #124901 is a reply to message #124859] Wed, 22 June 2005 03:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Frank Naude
Hi,

Start the Oracle Net Configuration Assistant (from menu or by running netca.bat). Select "Net Service Name Configuration" and define your remove databases. If you are not the GUI type, you can edit your TNSNAMES.ORA and SQLNET.ORA files directly.

Restart sqlplus and log in with the remote database's userid/password and the service name you have defined above.

Best regards.

Frank
Re: how to start sqlplus instantclient [message #125010 is a reply to message #124859] Wed, 22 June 2005 14:28 Go to previous message
gia_thornton
Hi Frank,
Thank you for your reply. Inorder to use Oracle Net Configuration Assistant, it seems that I need to install oracle. I don't have oracle installed on the machine that I installed instantclient. According to http://www.oracle.com/technology/tech/oci/instantclient/instantclient.html, instantclient does not need oracle. Is it right?
Also according to http://download-west.oracle.com/docs/cd/B12037_01/network.101/b10775/naming.htm#i479578, if I need to define network service name in tnsnames.ora, I need to have one of the following (which I don't have because I don't have oracle on the client machine):

Oracle Enterprise Manager
Oracle Net Manager
Oracle Net Configuration Assistant

Therefore, what I tried at least was to create tnsnames.ora in c:\instantclient with content as:

TNS_ADMIN=c:\instantclient
export TNS_ADMIN
sqlplus system/manager@sevice_name

and put TNS_ADMIN(c:\instantclient) as environment variable.

However, I don't know where to put remote host name. When I started sqlplus, I entered system and manager as user/password. Here is the output I got:

-------------------------------------------------------------
SQL*Plus: Release 10.1.0.3.0 - Production on Wed Jun 22 10:11:15 2005

Copyright (c) 1982, 2004, Oracle. All rights reserved.

Enter user-name: system
Enter password:
ERROR:
ORA-12560: TNS:protocol adapter error

Enter user-name:
-------------------------------------------------------------

Please let me know if you have any suggestion. Thank you.

Previous Topic: looking help with TNS 12540
Next Topic: Not able to connect to Oracle
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu May 09 22:15:35 CDT 2024