Home » RDBMS Server » Networking and Gateways » TNS-12571::Can ping but can't tnsping80 to database
TNS-12571::Can ping but can't tnsping80 to database [message #129593] Mon, 25 July 2005 21:37 Go to next message
tomcruise2000
I am having problems connecting to the Oracle database of my office from home. We connect to the office servers using VPN.

I have the domain names written in the file
C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\hosts
so that I can ping to any office server using the domain name. I can do this, both for Windows and Unix/Linux machines. Ping-ing is not a problem.

However, when I tried to do a tnsping80 to the server, using either IP address or domain name, I get the TNS-12571 error:

TNS Ping Utility for 32-bit Windows: Version8.0.5.0.0 - Production on 24-JUL-05

13:07:38

(c) Copyright 1997 Oracle Corporation. All rights reserved.

Attempting to contact(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=TCP)(HOST=galileo)(PORT=1521))

TNS-12571: TNS:packet writer failure

That means I can't even connect to the database using SQLPlus.

The thing is that when I use a Java-based client software such as Databrowser I am able to connect to the server. These programs use JDBC connections and not tnsnames.ora.

My DB administrator has been unable to help me fix the problem.

Pleasehelp me. Or let me know whether some more information is required.

Thanks
Re: TNS-12571::Can ping but can't tnsping80 to database [message #129671 is a reply to message #129593] Tue, 26 July 2005 04:19 Go to previous message
girish.rohini
Hi

Various posts found on web for this error:

Source: http://searchoracle.techtarget.com/ateQuestionNResponse/0,289625,sid41_cid482202_tax294550,00.html

Fire up REGEDIT and go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREORACLE. Then add EPC_DISABLED and set the value to TRUE.

Another thing you can try is to change your SQLNET.ORA file to have the following line:

SQLNET.AUTHENTICATION_SERVICES = (NONE)

source: http://www.nibbleguru.com/probs/145/263
TNS-12571: TNS:packet writer failure
This error is usually caused by spyware or adware that is installed on the computer. You may want to run a spyware removal tool (such as Spybot Search and Destroy) to fix such problems. Another cause I have seen for this error having a content filtering program (such as NetNanny) installed; either uninstall that program, or configure it so that it allows the program(s) you are using to pass unfiltered.

Source: http://ora-12571.ora-code.com/
ORA-12571: TNS:packet writer failure
Cause: An error occurred during a data send.
Action: Not normally visible to the user. For further details, turn on tracing and reexecute the operation. If error persists, contact Oracle Customer Support.

Hope these may resolve the issue..

Regds
Girish
Previous Topic: In Regards to User information from Server
Next Topic: Urgent ora-03113 End of communication channel
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri May 10 02:49:56 CDT 2024