Home » RDBMS Server » Networking and Gateways » Unable to connect with a DSN
Unable to connect with a DSN [message #130618] Mon, 01 August 2005 09:30 Go to next message
Suresh Kumar C.T
I am using Oracle8i server and i want to connect to the Oracle8i database through a vb program.But I am not able to do the same with a DSN or connect string.When i try to build a connect string using the ADO data control from VB the message i get at the end of the build process at the click of the Test Connection button is :

"Test connection failed because of an error in initilizing provider.ORA=12514 :Message 12514 not found;product=RDBMS80;facility=ORA"

The same problem occurs when i try to connect using a DSN.

I am using Microsoft ODBC for Oracle on the provider tab of the ADO data control.

I can't even build a connect string to connect to scott/tiger database. Can't we connect to a database thru a vb program directly from the server itself? Please help ..

Re: Unable to connect with a DSN [message #130729 is a reply to message #130618] Tue, 02 August 2005 03:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Frank Naude
Hi,

12514, 00000, "TNS:listener could not resolve SERVICE_NAME given in connect descriptor"
// *Cause:  The SERVICE_NAME in the CONNECT_DATA was not found in
// the listener's tables.
// *Action: Check to make sure that the SERVICE_NAME specified is correct.
// *Comment: This error will be returned if the (database) service has not been
// registered with the listener; a database instance that is part of this
// service may need to be started or configured properly.

Best regards.

Frank
Re: Unable to connect with a DSN [message #130789 is a reply to message #130729] Tue, 02 August 2005 09:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Suresh Kumar C.T

Sir, thanks for replying to my mail...But will i have to re-install the oracle server..if i need not re-install, then tell me how i can start a database instance that is part of the service, as mentioned in ur mail..

thanking u
suresh..
Re: Unable to connect with a DSN [message #130806 is a reply to message #130789] Tue, 02 August 2005 11:12 Go to previous message
Frank Naude
If you do a "lsnrctl services" on the server, you should see your service listed. If not, try to register the DB with the listener manually:

SQL> CONNECT SYS/ORACLE AS SYSDBA
SQL> ALTER SYSTEM REGISTER;

Alternatively, edit the server's LISTENER.ORA file, add the instance's name to it, and restart the listener.

Best regards.

Frank
Previous Topic: Running SQL Server Jobs From Oracle
Next Topic: Oracle 9i Personal and Client - can they coexist?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed May 15 09:24:55 CDT 2024