Home » Server Options » Data Guard » Physical Standby Implementation
Physical Standby Implementation [message #138428] Wed, 21 September 2005 23:00 Go to next message
malathi_c
Hi!

This is my first post.. I am new to oracle and I am up for the task of setting up a Data Guard configuration for failover operation..

I am trying to create a Physical standby database and I am not able to start the standby using a control file... Please help.

Also my client has requested automatic switch over, Is it possible?

When I try to use the Data Guard to configure my Physical Database ( Which for testing purposes, is planned to have onthe same machind as the Primary) gives me the error

'Dataguard remote process startup failed'

Please help me.!

Thanks
Malathi
Re: Physical Standby Implementation [message #138561 is a reply to message #138428] Thu, 22 September 2005 08:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kiran
Some related info is here at AskTom.

--Kiran.
Re: Physical Standby Implementation [message #140312 is a reply to message #138428] Mon, 03 October 2005 14:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
smartin
Automatic failover is possible as a new feature in 10gR2.

Also the oracle guide on data guard, at least 10g, is quite good, and pretty much gives step by steps.
Re: Physical Standby Implementation [message #140376 is a reply to message #140312] Mon, 03 October 2005 22:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
malathi_c
Thanks a Lot!

I have set up my Standby database and I can also see the log files getting applied... Phew that was quite a job for me...

Well... My implementation is going to be on Oracle 9i, OS- Windows NT, so I need a way to do an automatic failover..

One more question.. My client requires that the database be open for reading as well as writing.. Can this be done on a Physical Standby? Else do I have to setup a Logical Standby?

ALso they want notification through email when the primary is down.. Any inputs are greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Malathi
Re: Physical Standby Implementation [message #140421 is a reply to message #140376] Tue, 04 October 2005 03:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tarundua

hi malathi,

I am new to Oracle dataguard , just started studying today and found in the documentation that you can not open the physical standby database in Read-Write mode .

For that purpose Logical standby database would be a good option.
( others correct me if i am wrong)

regards,
tarun
Re: Physical Standby Implementation [message #140604 is a reply to message #138428] Tue, 04 October 2005 22:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
malathi_c
Thanks Tarun,

I had also seen that in the documentation.. I have created a Phsyical Standby and successfully switched the roles too.. But according to the documentation, I need to create a new standby on the original primary after the switchover..

Is there any other way or do we have to create the standby right from scratch again?

Thanks
Malathi
Re: Physical Standby Implementation [message #140625 is a reply to message #140604] Wed, 05 October 2005 00:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tarundua

sorry malathi,

Yesterday i read Data Guard docs for the very first time and was just able to create Oracle Primary standby database so can't give any suggestions. Any ways i am reading the docs so if i get anything then i will surely post it.

regards,
tarun
Re: Physical Standby Implementation [message #140812 is a reply to message #138428] Wed, 05 October 2005 13:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
smartin
I think (but should check docs to confirm) that in 10R1 and below that aftera failover to a standby, the old primary is now toast and needs to be rebuilt (rebuilt with a goal of becomming a standby to the now new primary, or to becoming a primary again). This does not happen in a normal switchover, as you can go back and forth.

But I believe I read that a new feature of 10gR2 is that after a failover (which can be automatic, another new feature) that the old primary is not toast and can be used again.
Re: Physical Standby Implementation [message #140856 is a reply to message #138428] Wed, 05 October 2005 23:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
malathi_c
Yes as Smartin has said..

Automatic Failover is available in 10gR2.
In regards to DataGuard, it also does not give you automatic failover. It is still an operator instigated process.

All DataGuard will give you is a GUI interface to failover or you need to script things up to switchover.

But here my client has Oracle 9i EE installed , so seems I have to write some scripts to monitor the Primary.

Any help regarding the scripts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Malathi
icon7.gif   Physical Standby Implementation [message #144079 is a reply to message #140856] Mon, 24 October 2005 23:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
chetan_vijay2003

hi

i am a new user to oracle and i want to make a standby database
i have installed oracle9i enterprise edition but i did not find data gaurd manager in oracle9i installation. how can i get that.
i am trying to implement it through sql-plus but i got some error
1. listner could not start dedicated server process
2. shared memory realm does not exist.
pls tell me how to implement standby database.
i am trying to implement it first on the same pc for experiment

pls provide me docs about it

thanks
chetan
Re: Physical Standby Implementation [message #144083 is a reply to message #144079] Tue, 25 October 2005 00:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tarundua

Read this doc

Re: Physical Standby Implementation [message #154919 is a reply to message #138428] Wed, 11 January 2006 06:03 Go to previous message
AlinaC

Hi, I'm very new to implement Physical Standby Implementation.
Please help me on the followings-

1. When I'll install Oracle 9i , should I put seperate SID for both primary and standby database?

2. Do I need to copy all datafiles from primary to standby including SYSTEM01.DBF? where should I copy, in the directory where all data files resides at standby site?

3. Do I need to copy password file from primary to sandby? if password file already exists at standby site, should I delete it?

4. Finally if you share initialiazation files for primary and standby , it will be true help for me.

Alina.
Previous Topic: Primay & Standby on Different DB versions & OS
Next Topic: Net Configuration for Forms (an Reports)
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 12:06:43 CDT 2024