Home » RDBMS Server » Networking and Gateways » setup oracle server.
setup oracle server. [message #147804] Mon, 21 November 2005 03:12 Go to next message
matrik02
I am still new with oracle database.i want to connect the database store at server from my client pc using TCP/IP .For example the database server located at my head Office in Australia and I want to connect the database server from my client pc .I am now in Malaysia.So what should i do to connect the database server?
Re: setup oracle server. [message #147826 is a reply to message #147804] Mon, 21 November 2005 05:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tarundua

Read the documentation to configure tnsnames.ora file on the Client side and listener.ora on the Server side .

And then post back the specific problem.

Re: setup oracle server. [message #149640 is a reply to message #147804] Fri, 02 December 2005 10:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gkrishn
*)Install client(SQL plus) on ur machine
*)make use of network config tool to configure Network name service (this will create TNSname.ora file ) in ur client machine.
*)same tool you can you have the option to test the connection to server.

*)if everythin is fine, just try connecting from SQL plus ,entering username/password/hostname (Network service name).

Let me know the results .

--Rajiv
Re: setup oracle server. [message #149649 is a reply to message #149640] Fri, 02 December 2005 11:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
matrik02
Thank for you reply.I want to know where i can get the Network name service ?It is refer to the database instance name during the installation in server machine ?
icon7.gif  Re: setup oracle server. [message #149652 is a reply to message #147804] Fri, 02 December 2005 11:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gkrishn
No, its some config needed in client side.

from client if you want to connect, you have to create a network service name and test it . using network configuration tool coming with oracle client installation(SQLplus).

suppose you have a instance DB1 running in ur server,you can use network config tool in client to create network service name specifying remote instance(DB1),port no:,hostname etc... This would create TNSname.ora file in ur client with all info.

later you can connect to DB1 from ur machine , specifying username/password/host string(nothing but your Network serice name.

i think enough info:

--Rajiv
Re: setup oracle server. [message #151097 is a reply to message #149652] Tue, 13 December 2005 01:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
matrik02
I have finish install the oracle server in server machine.I follow the installation instruction during the installation setup.I have choose GISDB for SID and net services.

So does i need to configure Network name service in server machine using network configure tools?

For the client :-

I have install Oracle client in client machine.I have create network services name using network configure tools.When i want to connect the database from my client machine,I got the message like this TNS:could not resolve service name.Why it happend? When i look at taskbar, I found that the small computer at the right near the taskbar, the recieve is 0 .I attach the simple snapshoot for you. Where i can found the file TNSname.ora . Which folder?
  • Attachment: network.jpg
    (Size: 18.22KB, Downloaded 1043 times)

[Updated on: Tue, 13 December 2005 01:51]

Report message to a moderator

Re: setup oracle server. [message #151116 is a reply to message #151097] Tue, 13 December 2005 05:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gkrishn
It is not necessary to configure NSN in serverside .

Client machine,While configuring NSN there was an option to test connection using the NSN you created.One TEST button.Have you test the connection?

Also while conneting from SQL Plus enter ur username ,password and NSN in hostname field.Also make sure instance and listner is running in your server .

You can find your TNSname.ora file under ORACLE_HOME \network\admin on Windows platforms .

--Rajiv

[Updated on: Tue, 13 December 2005 05:37]

Report message to a moderator

Re: setup oracle server. [message #151296 is a reply to message #151116] Wed, 14 December 2005 02:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
matrik02
Thank you very much.I have test it and it work.I have solve it.
Re: setup oracle server. [message #151297 is a reply to message #151116] Wed, 14 December 2005 02:26 Go to previous message
matrik02
Thank you very much.I have test it and it work.I have solve it.
Previous Topic: Can't able to start SNMP services on AIX 5.2
Next Topic: Listener failed to start
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Apr 29 10:20:45 CDT 2024