Home » Server Options » Data Guard » Flashback old primary after a failover
Flashback old primary after a failover [message #149537] Fri, 02 December 2005 03:10 Go to next message
asangapradeep
Hi,

after a failover i want to bring back the old-primary as a new standby using the flashback database. i've been following the oracle documentaion and one thing i need clarification with is this
Quote:

2. Create the standby control file and shut down the database:

SQL> ALTER DATABASE CREATE STANDBY CONTROLFILE AS control_file_name;
SQL> SHUTDOWN IMMEDIATE;

3. Issue operating system copy commands to replace the current control files with the new standby control file.

what does this step 3 means?

i created my standby controlfile as '/tmp/standy.ctl'

and then copy it to the directory where controlfiles were when the database was running as the primary. '/oradata/pri/'

but when i issued startup mount it still mount as a primary database instead of a standby.
when i deleted the old controlfiles control01.ctl, control02.ctl, etc then startup mount gives an error saying unable to recognize the controlfile.

after that i modified the pfile and gave the standby controlfile in the controlfile parameter. then the database got mounted.
but didn't apply any logs after i started the log apply service.

so i want to know how to implement this mounting the database using the standby controlfile. and what happens to the old controlfiles? do i delete them or keep them?

thank you

Re: Flashback old primary after a failover [message #149545 is a reply to message #149537] Fri, 02 December 2005 03:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
asangapradeep
anyone wondering the same as i did found this!
http://www.orafaq.com/node/31

hope this helps all others
Re: Flashback old primary after a failover [message #149560 is a reply to message #149537] Fri, 02 December 2005 04:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
asangapradeep
the above article is very good but i need to know one more thing

Quote:

# Shutdown the old primary database (Instance A), and replace the control files with the new standby control files. SQL> shutdown immediate; $ cp /dba/standby/stbyct.f /u02/oradata/sid/control01.ctl $ cp /dba/standby/stbyct.f /u02/oradata/sid/control02.ctl

how do i do this when my control files are in ASM?

thank you
Re: Flashback old primary after a failover [message #149755 is a reply to message #149537] Sun, 04 December 2005 09:33 Go to previous message
asangapradeep
restore controlfile from 'standby_control_file';

seems to do the trick when ASM is used Smile
Previous Topic: ora-27046
Next Topic: Oracle Asynchronous CDC questions
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 10:10:56 CDT 2024