Home » RDBMS Server » Networking and Gateways » ORA-12154 tns:could not resolve the connect identifier specified
ORA-12154 tns:could not resolve the connect identifier specified [message #162124] Wed, 08 March 2006 19:33 Go to next message
new_developer
Hi,

I installed Oracle 10G XE and connected with PL/SQL Developer. Everything worked fine. I shut down my machine (yesterday) and then today started it back up. When I go to PL/SQL developer all my service names are missing from the drop downs except for the last one. If I use it I get the error message listed in teh title. It's like it is not seeing the tnsnames anymore. Since I had not done anything in teh DBS I uninstalled an reinstalled it and now it is fine.

HOw can I prevent this from happening next time I shut down my pc? I have a laptop with Windows XP.

Thanks,
K
Re: ORA-12154 tns:could not resolve the connect identifier specified [message #164072 is a reply to message #162124] Tue, 21 March 2006 11:43 Go to previous message
nmacdannald
I do not know that much about Oracle server on XP.

Here is what I would do.

1) make sure your tnsnames.ora (might be in the directory C:/Oracle/product/10.2/orcl or something like that, anyway, the one in your $ORACLE_HOME) has the correct entries.

2) when you bring up the machine, make sure the listener is running on the correct tnsnames.ora file.

3) make sure the instance got started.

I installed Oracle on my XP last week, no problems yet.
Good luck.
Neil.
Previous Topic: Connecting to Remote Server
Next Topic: Listener File
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Apr 29 03:47:14 CDT 2024