Home » RDBMS Server » Networking and Gateways » ORA-12154: TNS:could not resolve service name
ORA-12154: TNS:could not resolve service name [message #165456] Thu, 30 March 2006 05:48 Go to next message
chandanbhamra
Hi All,

What happen when i try to connect to database it connects but sometimes it does not and throw up this error ORA-12154: TNS:could not resolve service name. What its behaving like this? why sometimes its not able to connect to database?

Anybody have a solution for this? any body has face this kind of weird problem before. How much important is SQLNET.ora file? I don't have this file in my network/admin directory

Thanks in advance
Chandan Singh

Re: ORA-12154: TNS:could not resolve service name [message #165462 is a reply to message #165456] Thu, 30 March 2006 06:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
chandanbhamra
from somewhere i got this message

For the benefit of other users, customer was seeing intermittent 
"ORA-12154: TNS:could not resolve service name". The behavior was resolved after the customer modifed the sqlnet.ora file to use static tnsnames rather than onames.

Here what it means static tnsnames?

Thanks & Regards
Chandan Singh
Re: ORA-12154: TNS:could not resolve service name [message #165627 is a reply to message #165462] Fri, 31 March 2006 03:17 Go to previous message
chandanbhamra
Can anybody tell me how to see Oracle Names is configured or not. I don't have access to database machine but i will be checking all the things thru client. How can i know if Oracle is using TNSNAMES.ora or ONAMES? if there any view available that can tell me this.

Activity Type: Customer Update
GMT Created: 02/16/2005 15:00:22
Comment : 

I modifed the sqlnet.ora file to use static tnsnames rather than onames. Than appears to have corrected the issue. I have monitored the system for several days and we have not had another occurrence. 
Thanks,

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Activity Type: Resolution
GMT Created: 02/16/2005 20:59:06
Comment : 
For the benefit of other users, customer was seeing intermittent 
"ORA-12154: TNS:could not resolve service name". The behavior was resolved after the customer modifed the sqlnet.ora file to use static tnsnames rather than onames.

Thanks in advance
Chandan Singh
Previous Topic: sql*net version
Next Topic: How to kill a session Permanently
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Apr 29 09:10:01 CDT 2024