Home » RDBMS Server » Networking and Gateways » Firewall issue: TCP connection timeout while processing long query
Firewall issue: TCP connection timeout while processing long query [message #179876] Thu, 29 June 2006 02:56 Go to next message
Tobias42
Hi,

at a customer of ours there is an application server that connects to an oracle database server via the Oracle JDBC Thin Driver. Between the application server and the database server there is a firewall. The firewall is configured to close inactive TCP connections after a certain time. The problem with this is that when long database queries are processed the connection is erroneously classified inactive and closed.

Of course, the easiest solution is to increase the timeout period for TCP connections. But I am wondering if there is a better way to handle this. I know that there are firewall products on the market that are aware of the Net8 protocol. My question is: can those firewalls distinguish between a truly inactive database connection and a connection waiting for a long query to finish? And are there any "official" recommendations by Oracle for specific firewall products?

Thanks in advance,
Tobias
Re: Firewall issue: TCP connection timeout while processing long query [message #182028 is a reply to message #179876] Wed, 12 July 2006 11:33 Go to previous message
nmacdannald
Try looking at 'keep alive' for your connection. Or perhaps breaking up the query so that you issue a statement more often.
Previous Topic: ORA-12505: TNS:listener does not currently know of SID given in connect des
Next Topic: Db link gives "Could not resolve service name" error
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri May 03 07:01:18 CDT 2024