Home » RDBMS Server » Networking and Gateways » Oracle 10g XE and tnsnames.ora
Oracle 10g XE and tnsnames.ora [message #186786] Wed, 09 August 2006 09:16 Go to next message
wynjones
I have been investigating upgrading a system developed by our company from Oracle 9i to Oracle 10g XE.
I have installed an Oracle 10g XE database on one server and it works OK. When I installed a client on another machine to connect remotely to the XE database, I looked for a tnsnames file on the XE client and could not find one. Reading through the Oracle 10g XE DBA documentation no mention is made of the existance of a tnsnames.ora file. The suggestion is that when an application connects to a database via the XE client, the full string must be specified, i.e.
connect username/password@[//]host[:port][/servicename]

In other words, the information that would otherwise have been supplied by tnsnames (i.e. the host name and port number) has to be supplied within the connect string.

If the connect string does need to be modified within the application (which currently relies on the existance of a tnsnames file) this is undesirable in serveral ways (changes may have to be made in several places in the application code and we will have to support mutiple versions of the application code).

Can anyone tell me if this is the only way to connect to a database from an application via an Oracle XE client or can changes be made to tell the XE client to look in a tnsnames file.

Re: Oracle 10g XE and tnsnames.ora [message #186827 is a reply to message #186786] Wed, 09 August 2006 14:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
When you refer to 10g XE do you mean the following:
Oracle Application Express
Oracle Application Express (APEX), formerly called HTML DB, is a rapid web application development tool for the Oracle database. Using only a web browser and limited programming experience, you can develop and deploy professional applications that are both fast and secure.

If so, the client is nothing more than a web browser.
If not, please elaborate.
Re: Oracle 10g XE and tnsnames.ora [message #186930 is a reply to message #186786] Thu, 10 August 2006 03:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wynjones
Thanks for your reply.
No, when I said I had installed Oracle 10g XE I didn't mean Oracle Application Express. I meant Oracle Database 10g Express Edition. Oracle Database 10g Express Edition (XE) is an entry-level, small-footprint database based on the Oracle Database 10g Release 2 code base that's free to develop, deploy, and distribute. You can read about it on the Oracle web site, see http://www.oracle.com/technology/products/database/xe/index.html

Re: Oracle 10g XE and tnsnames.ora [message #186939 is a reply to message #186786] Thu, 10 August 2006 04:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
wynjones wrote on Wed, 09 August 2006 16:16

I have been investigating upgrading a system developed by our company from Oracle 9i to Oracle 10g XE.

Are you aware of XE restrictions? No more than 4GB of user data? Are you sure you'd want to upgrade from 9i to XE? Wouldn't you rather consider upgrading to 10g instead?
Re: Oracle 10g XE and tnsnames.ora [message #186941 is a reply to message #186939] Thu, 10 August 2006 04:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wynjones
Yes we are aware of the XE restrictions. We are planning to deploy onto 10g as well but our sales department are keen for me to look into the possibility of using XE to reduce costs for smaller customers (no Oracle licences are required for XE).
Re: Oracle 10g XE and tnsnames.ora [message #195509 is a reply to message #186786] Fri, 29 September 2006 02:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Merlin073
I have exactly the same problem like wynjones.

Is there really no TNSNAMES.ORA after installing the XE client?
I can connect to Toad from my client pc logging in with the fully specified connect string, but the applications I have written relay on the TNSNAMES.ORA

Thank your for your help!
Re: Oracle 10g XE and tnsnames.ora [message #197059 is a reply to message #186786] Mon, 09 October 2006 16:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cdkayak
Here is the path to the tnsnames.ora file for my 10 XE installation.

/usr/lib/oracle/xe/app/oracle/product/10.2.0/server/network/admin

This installation is on a CentOS 4 server. Hope it helps.

CD

ETA: I just reread your message and noticed it was for the client not server app. Sorry, I haven't been using the 10XE client application, only older clients and other databases. If I have a chance to install the 10XE client in the next few days I'll take a look & let you know what I find.

[Updated on: Mon, 09 October 2006 17:00]

Report message to a moderator

icon10.gif  Re: Oracle 10g XE and tnsnames.ora [message #201815 is a reply to message #197059] Mon, 06 November 2006 21:34 Go to previous message
muthuka
I guess this will help you. I created this file under
C:\oracle\product\10.2.0\client_1\network\ADMIN folder.

ORADB =
(DESCRIPTION =
(ADDRESS_LIST = (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = localhost)(PORT = 1521)) )
(CONNECT_DATA = (SERVCE_NAME = XE)
(FAILOVER_MODE = (TYPE = SELECT) (METHOD = BASIC) (RETRIES=100) (DELAY=1))
))

Thanks

Muthu
http://techblog.muthuka.com/

[Updated on: Mon, 06 November 2006 21:40]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic: duplicate service handlers while listener running
Next Topic: Unable to fetch data from oracle using the SQL server
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat May 04 17:08:17 CDT 2024