Home » RDBMS Server » Networking and Gateways » ORACLE Listener configuration???? Help please
ORACLE Listener configuration???? Help please [message #19696] Thu, 04 April 2002 04:24 Go to next message
Su
Hi there,

Very recently I downloaded the TOAD Professional Edition on my Win 98 system and tried to connect it to ORACLE8i Personal Edition on the same. But the TOAD shows the error message "ORA12541: TNS:No Listener" when I try to login to the TOAD while connecting it to the ORACLE8i on same system.
Also I tried to create a listener configuration using ORACLE's Net8 Configuraton Assistant and sure enough it is adding the created listener info into LISTENER.ORA in OracleNetworkAdmin folder. Even then the TOAD says no listener. I tried copying the newly created listener content into TNSNAMES.ORA also. Hunn, no use at all.
Any idea, what is going wrong with it? First of all, can't I create a listener on Windows 98? If so, what is wrong then? Where I am loosing the loop.
Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Su.
Re: ORACLE Listener configuration???? Help please [message #19704 is a reply to message #19696] Thu, 04 April 2002 05:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
did u start the listner?
go to prompt
go to oracle home
goto bin directory
give
lsnrctl
then
lsnrct> start
now give a try.
Re: ORACLE Listener configuration???? Help please [message #19707 is a reply to message #19704] Thu, 04 April 2002 07:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Su
Thanks buddy. Its working now. I had a similar problem on powerbuilder also. I have to try it now on that also.

Thank you very much.
Re: ORACLE Listener configuration???? Help please [message #19712 is a reply to message #19704] Thu, 04 April 2002 10:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Su
Hello Mahesh,

Doing the same (starting a LSNRCTL), can I connect my PowerBuilder6.0 to Oracle? Once after started LSNRCTL, I logged into powerbuilder with an ODBC connection to ORACLE. Even though I have created the data source with the ORACLE service name, I am not able to access the ORACLE data through powerbuilder. I logged on with a DB profile, which also has the info about data source, immediately a message window appears saying "catalog tables could not be created, not available for use". Even then, I click OK and create a table (in PB itself) and try to access it, again it says, "Table MYTEST has no columns, possible invalid TABLE format".
What is going wrong? Any advice or help?

Thanks in advance.
Re: ORACLE Listener configuration???? Help please [message #19714 is a reply to message #19712] Thu, 04 April 2002 10:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
is the datatabse instance availble and open?
check that out: ( login to the machine where database is installed) and in prompt give

C:tnsping host_string

for example

tnsping dev9i

--
purpose is to check db is availbel for use.
try to login from sql and issue some queries. etc...

---
if the database is up and available, check the privs of db user ur logging as...
-----
Re: ORACLE Listener configuration???? Help please [message #19717 is a reply to message #19712] Thu, 04 April 2002 12:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Su
everything is open and working while I am trying to connect from PB. Since it is ORACLE8i Personal Edition on my system, I can logon to SYSTEM/MANAGER to the administrator level. I also tried with another use logon and accessing from PB. Hun no use at all. Dont know why and how. Any idea?

Thanks for your time.
Re: ORACLE Listener configuration???? Help please [message #20665 is a reply to message #19712] Wed, 12 June 2002 06:41 Go to previous message
Smara
I have the same problem!
Please advise if any issue.
Thank you.
Previous Topic: remote database link
Next Topic: TNS:could not resolve service name
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 08:45:32 CDT 2024