Home » Open Source » MySQL » Migration From MySQL to Oracle
Migration From MySQL to Oracle [message #195663] Sat, 30 September 2006 12:53 Go to next message
amit_nanote

Hi I have to migrate my database from MySQL 4.X and 5.0 to Oracle 9i(R2) and Oracle 10g.
What kind of consideration do I have to take. I am using Oracle Migration Workbench for the migration is this the appropriate tool for migration.
Regards
Amit Nanote
Re: Migration From MySQL to Oracle [message #195683 is a reply to message #195663] Sun, 01 October 2006 03:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Frank Naude
Yes, Oracle's Migration Workbench is the right tool for the job. Please let us know if you run into any problems.

PS: you should be able to do it manually as well. Just dump the MySQL database (mysqldump), change the SQL syntax for Oracle, and run the script from SQL*Plus.
Re: Migration From MySQL to Oracle [message #195898 is a reply to message #195683] Tue, 03 October 2006 01:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
amit_nanote

Thank You Frank.
hi,
I would Like to know that -
I have define a column of int(15), read the datatype conversion guideline giving me that mysql int can be converted to oracle by number(10,0) value only. Do it support number(15,0). Is there any flexibility on the size related issue. Do I need to convert the MySQL datatype to Oracle Compatible datatype. Do Oracle Migration Workbench will allow me to do change the limit. As far as I know that OMWB allows to change the limit.

Thank you.
With Regards
Amit Nanote
Re: Migration From MySQL to Oracle [message #195989 is a reply to message #195898] Tue, 03 October 2006 08:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
faiz_hyd
Hi,

Yes Oracle 9i supports column with number(15,0) here is the test
Connected to:
Oracle9i Enterprise Edition Release 9.2.0.5.0 - Production
With the Partitioning, OLAP and Oracle Data Mining options
JServer Release 9.2.0.5.0 - Production

SQL> create table test (c1 number (15,0));

Table created.

Regarding conversions while doing migration i think you have to do manually.

Regards
Re: Migration From MySQL to Oracle [message #198904 is a reply to message #195898] Thu, 19 October 2006 01:50 Go to previous message
amit_nanote

Thank you for all your previous replies. Now I have come up with the new query that -
I am using certain functions in MySQL query written in application, do it also need to get changed into the Oracle compatible functions or oracle interpret it.
e.g There is a function now() in mysql what it will get converted by Oracle. Do it understood by the oracle server.
What kind of consideration do I have to take in queries related issues, for Insert update delete how much change it will take.

And one important thing by default setting of MySQL it doesnt enforces the referential integrity check in the database...is there any kind of tool/technique to obtain the relationships? During migration it is needed to implement the foreign key check.

Thank you.
Regards
Amit Nanote
Previous Topic: syntax error in stored procedures in mysql 5.0
Next Topic: Migration MySQL to Oracle
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 10:58:47 CDT 2024