Home » Other » Client Tools » Oracle SQL Developer weird issue
Oracle SQL Developer weird issue [message #216876] Tue, 30 January 2007 14:28 Go to next message
kregan77
So I keep running into this issue with SQL developer. I will compile a package and it will say it compiled ok but it is actually not compiled ok.. i can go into sqlplus or toad and see that it is broken. If I refresh the packages in SQL developer and expand the package an 'X' appears on the package body indicating an error but if I compile it to try to see what the errors are it never shows any... this is very frustrating...

anybody ever seen this or have an idea what the heck is going on??

Thanks,
Kevin
Re: Oracle SQL Developer weird issue [message #216920 is a reply to message #216876] Tue, 30 January 2007 21:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ebrian
I wouldn't put it past being a bug. I've compiled invalid procedures in SQL Developer and they compiled successfully, but yet still showed a red X. Are you running the latest version of SQL Developer?
Re: Oracle SQL Developer weird issue [message #216939 is a reply to message #216920] Wed, 31 January 2007 00:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Frank
Are your packages not Invalidated instead of Invalid?
If you compile a source the package depends on, the package gets invalidated. In, for example, PL/SQL Developer these also show with a red cross, suggesting they would be invalid.
A recompile validates everything, but -in general- is not necessary, since that will happen automagically when you call the package.
Re: Oracle SQL Developer weird issue [message #217011 is a reply to message #216939] Wed, 31 January 2007 05:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JRowbottom
Do a select from USER_ERRORS to see what errors (if any) there are in your package.

I've had a problem with compiling procedures from the query window, where you have to add an extra ';' to the end of the file, as it seems to strip the trailing ; from the code.
Re: Oracle SQL Developer weird issue [message #217028 is a reply to message #216876] Wed, 31 January 2007 06:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
karaseg
I have had the same thing as Frank- if I didn't compile the packages in the specific dependency order, they look invalid in something like Toad, but really are just "invalidated".
Have you looked at all the dependencies, and compiled things in order?
Re: Oracle SQL Developer weird issue [message #217037 is a reply to message #217028] Wed, 31 January 2007 07:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JRowbottom
If nothing shows up in the User_Errors view, then you can generally ignore these invalidations. The packages will be recompiled when they're executed, so it's not too much of a problem.
Re: Oracle SQL Developer weird issue [message #217055 is a reply to message #216876] Wed, 31 January 2007 09:02 Go to previous message
kregan77
Thanks for the responses guys much appreciated...

So I used a friends toad and found that the errors were that I was not passing enough parameters to a particular function I was calling... so it was something pretty obvious that sql dev should have picked up on. I did download the latest version yesterday before I posted this message so it is a problem in the new one as well. Its too bad - i like sql devs interface a little better than toad... plus of course it's free Laughing

[Updated on: Wed, 31 January 2007 09:18]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic: Anyone use Toad 9.0
Next Topic: What do you use/like - Toad or SqlNavigator ?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 12:40:58 CDT 2024