Home » Server Options » Data Guard » Multiple Listerners setup
Multiple Listerners setup [message #238663] Fri, 18 May 2007 20:09 Go to next message
tmathew
Hi All,

I would like to setup a logical standby on a production server where we have a 24x7 production database is running. so what I did was that I installed the same oracle server s/w on a different oracle home.so we have to different oracle homes on this host for the same oracle server version.The reason I made 2 homes is because I don't want to disturb the current settings and the production db.
so,my question is that can I use the same listener of the production db for the new logical database OR a new listener in the new oracle ,which is better?

If i use the current production db's listener which uses defult port number(1521), is it safe i can register the new logical db instance with this listener? if suppose I need to stop the listener,then nobody will be able to access both databases.

If i create a new listener in the new oracle home with a new port number,which i think would be more safe to handle.

Oracle says that the LOCAL_LISTENER parameter must be used on both instances(logical and primary dbs)if a non-default listerner is used.

Would someone please clarify this for me?

Please have expert thoughts?

Thanks

Mathew

Re: Multiple Listerners setup [message #238726 is a reply to message #238663] Sat, 19 May 2007 13:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
DreamzZ
Y ON PRODUCTION???
WUTS DA BENIFIT OF DG DEN?
IF YOU CONFIGURING ON DA SAME MACHINE??
Re: Multiple Listerners setup [message #238748 is a reply to message #238663] Sat, 19 May 2007 15:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
>Y ON PRODUCTION???
>WUTS DA BENIFIT OF DG DEN?
>IF YOU CONFIGURING ON DA SAME MACHINE??
The langage for this forum is ENGLISH; not jibberish as posted by you.
Re: Multiple Listerners setup [message #239131 is a reply to message #238748] Mon, 21 May 2007 09:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mlgoins

I think the answer to the second question (about why you would stand up a Logical Standby Database on the same server as the Primary) is to take users off of the Primary Database for reporting purposes. Directing "custom query"/reporters to the Logical Standby Database to take the burden off of the Primary Database.

Sorry -- not a response to the original question.

Mike
icon7.gif  Re: Multiple Listerners setup [message #239134 is a reply to message #238663] Mon, 21 May 2007 09:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mlgoins

My assumption is that Oracle is speaking of a "traditional" configuration, where the Logical Standby Database shares the tnsnames.ora and listener.ora file (same $ORACLE_HOME when on the same server). tnslsnr lets you specify which listener to start or stop, so I don't think you would lose access to both databases if you were to stop the 2nd listener. For example:

TNSLSNR> stop listener2
Re: Multiple Listerners setup [message #239940 is a reply to message #238663] Wed, 23 May 2007 12:53 Go to previous message
tmathew
sorry for the delayed response. i was busy setting up the logical standby and set it up successfully. I used the same listerner for my new logical stdby setup for another primary db.The new logcal stdby I setup on a host where we have a logical stdby running for one of our critical production db.

Thanks for all your help!

Mathew
Previous Topic: ORA-16000
Next Topic: MR(fg) WAIT_FOR_LOG why ?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 06:17:06 CDT 2024